As fall has begun, we are entering the good old cold and flu season. Let us consider natures prescriptions. A group of herbs that have been traced back to ancient China and Egypt. The list of benefits is amazing and unlike prescriptions… they have little or no side effects.
By using these anti-viral herbs, you can boost your immune system and stop viruses
HERE THEY ARE:
Yes, it’s not just for pizza. Oregano contains carvacrol. This component can inactivate the human norovirus within 1 hour of taking it. Oh, by the way norovirus is the one that makes you vomit your guts up. It’s not pretty. Mexican Oregano is effective against herpes simplex type 1 virus and respiratory syncytial virus. Use the oil of oregano to be the most effective and get the most anti-viral benefits.
This is very popular and well known. It can boost your immune system. Echinacea contains phytochemicals that fight and reduce infections once you catch them.
The strong antimicrobial can combat the flu, the head cold, and other various viruses you might catch. How to take it, oil of garlic or tincture or concentrated tablets. All are available in health stores.
If you have the flu, you better get this ASAP. It works on Flu Virus A or B and after taking for 7 days, a significant improvement of symptoms is shown. It is good to take Echinacea along with elderberry to fight the flu faster. Take elderberry in syrup form to make it most effective.
This herb is known to help the body’s reaction to stress, but it contains very powerful anti-viral properties. This can be your best friend, it stops the virus from multiplying and getting stronger (which makes you feel worse). Best way to take it is either in capsule form or tincture.
This mighty herb contains oleuropein. This compound in olive leaf inhibits the spreading of the virus. It blocks them from attaching to healthy cells (that’s what viruses do, they attach to healthy cells and replicate) If you start in early stage of the virus it reduces infection by 30%. Best to take in capsule form or tincture.
It’s excellent for nausea and upset stomachs. This powerhouse can block the attachment of the virus that attacks your airways. Ginger is most effective when taken in fresh form, not dried, not in capsule. Grate some ginger and put it in a teaspoon of honey and swallow 4 x daily. You can also grate some about 1 inch worth and put in warm water or herbal tea and drink it 4 x daily.
It has been used for hundreds of years by the Chinese for anti-viral effects. It contains triterpenoids that are very effective to boost viral immunity and has anti-viral effects against viruses such as herpes simplex, SARS and Flu. It is known as the broad-spectrum anti-viral herb. Best if taken in lozenges form or capsules or even in tea form. Don’t take too much because it can raise blood pressure slightly. If you get DGL Licorice, then that property has been removed and it won’t raise blood pressure.
This comes from the rain forest. It supercharges your immune system and can repair damaged DNA and boost your virus fighting white blood cells. It has been proven to help with the treatment of Lyme disease.
This is the marigold flower, however it can fight rhinovirus, and stomatitis by reducing the multiplication of the virus. Best taken in capsule or in tea form. You can also buy it in cream form for topical use. This wonderful herb reduces inflammation and fights infection. I use it for ear infections personally. I make essential oils with Calendula.
TO MAKE A TEA :
- Steep 1 tablespoon of your favorite anti-viral herb to 1 cup of hot water and let it steep for 15 minutes strain and drink. You also can buy prepackaged teas such as ginger, elderberry, licorice (usually you steep those 20 min)
TO MAKE AN OIL FOR DIFFUSER OR STEAM:
- Mix 1 to 2 drops of anti-viral essential oil with a carrier oil such as coconut or almond oil and apply topically or add to a warm bath. If you have a diffuser then add the straight essential oil (7 drops) in the diffuser and breathe. You can also put the essential oil in boiled water that is hot and inhale the steam (especially good for head colds).
RECIPE FOR THE WEEK.
- Slice up 10 medium mushrooms any kind you like
- Dice up 2 medium zucchinis
- 5 garlic cloves diced small
- ½ cup of olive oil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (mild, medium or hot) sprinkle more than a pinch if you like it hot or leave out if you do not like spice
- Sauté these until tender 5 to 7 minutes set aside when cooked then:
- Add 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- ½ cup of chicken broth or veggie broth
Salt and pepper to taste. Add this to the mushroom /zucchini mixture. Heat thru then place over any cooked brown rice pasta or brown rice. In this recipe use fresh herbs it makes a big difference.
Till next time, May Your Health Be with You!!!